Governor Chris Gregoire has led a government-wide lean initiative over the past year that has yielded some major successes by managing to cross at least two critical hurdles to sustainability. One of the strengths of lean is that it both causes and allows the people who actually do the work to lead the way in removing the waste from their processes to enhance efficiency. No group of employees has expressed more of an interest than those that work in government. Washington State has achieved results with its application of lean techniques-95 completed projects-which makes for a hopeful future that long-established processes can be implemented as the short-term successes continue to lay the foundation.
- The Performance Institute: Helping Cities Advance Performance Management for Improved Results
- Low Productivity? Redesign Your Team So Everyone Is a Leader
- Are we any Closer to a Nationwide Public Safety Wireless Broadband Network?
- Part 3: How to Manage Difficult Government Employees
- GAO Report on Poor Performance